Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A smidgen of self reflection...

Wow, it's been a while since I've written one of these. I've been doing some winter hibernating lately, but spring has been 'sprung' somewhat in Texas already, and the sunshine seems to be pushing itself on me; motivating me to get active and get the mind going once again.
I stumbled across a quote the other day that is actually very meaningful to me, but along with most other quotes I scribble down on post-its and shove anywhere they can fit, it was temporarily lost.

"Every single person is looking to see did you hear me? Do you see me? Do you really see me? Does what I'm saying matter to you?.....and that is the common denominator in the human experience. that is the great lesson I have learned in all these years....every single person matters."~ Oprah Winfrey

I think that quote really rings true. Every person is looking to be understood, accepted, and valued by others. But it got me thinking about people who strive so hard to be heard or seen for who they are, that they end up becoming someone else. Maybe it's the struggle to see, understand, and value OURSELVES that is the common denominator in the human experience. Otherwise, why would so many of us purchase self-help books, or be in therapy, or even blog? Or maybe it's not one or the other, but both?.......

No comments: